Welcome fellow art lover

This blog has no agenda other than to reveal visual art as I see it. My opinions are my own although influenced by other artists. Even though this may be a venue for me to voice my opinions, at the end of the day, I do not expect others to hold the same ones. This a blog that expresses the nature of how I see art and the journey that led me to my opinions.

I am glad you came to join in the discussion.

E. Melinda Morrison
www.emelindamorrison.com

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Dogs and windmills

We left Athens on Saturday heading to both the ruins of Corinth and to the ship. I was hoping we would be able to paint at Corinth but the security nixed that so pics were the call of the day. Corinth was harder for me to get my arms around in terms of realizing its significance. Paul was here for almost 18 months working as a tent maker while preaching the gospel. The temple of Apollo was at the heart of the city. While Paul was there, almost 800,000 people lived there. No paintings from there but on to Port of Pireaus and then to Mykinos.

Mykinos, is referred to by many, and I think fairly, as the party island. Although it was more painting than party for us, Mykinos had an event for me that left a deep impression and stayed with me the rest of my trip.

We got off the boat and started winding through the quaint streets of the village finally coming to a beach with a great view. We set up to paint. After a bit, I noticed a small red dog that seemed to belong to know one going in circles on teh beach. She was panting and clearly distressed. I moved towards her and could see she was blind in both eyes, greying around the mussel, starving and almost deaf. I ran to buy a can of dog food. As I fed her and gave her water the little dog's tail went ninety miles an hour. She was very sweet and responded to affection. One of our fellow travelers on the ship had seen her and as concerned as we were about the dog set out to find a shop keeper who might know the dog. She found one. The shopkeeper did not know the dog but asked us to come by her shop when we left. The dog curled up next to me when she found out where we were standing on the beach. My heart broke for this little dog as I thought kindness goes a long way with both dogs and people.

As we finished our painting and packed up, a French woman whom we had met earlier and who was a fellow artist, came by and stayed with the dog while we went to the shopkeeper's store. The shopkeeper, Anatashia, was concerned about the dog, and I pleaded with her to take the dog home;at the worst to put her down although I felt she had a few more years left in her as a sweet companion. Anatashia agreed to help the dog if I would bring her to the shop. When I brought that sweet little dog back to the store, she ate all the cat food in the bowl next to her and lied down on a mat outside the shop. She went to sleep contented that her tummy was full.

Given Anatashia's generosity in helping the dog, I offered her my painting as a gesture of thanks. Her eyes lit up as she saw the house that I had painted from the beach was her godfather's house. With glee, Anatashia took the painting promising that she would take the dog home and care for it. What more could I ask? I felt the painting had more value for me than if I had sold it. I have prayed for that little dog since having left Mykinos.

Before leaving Mykinos, we had met a gal that was a host of one of the seaside cafes. She was a fellow artist studying art at the university and had asked us to come back and paint the sunset at her cafe. After taking care of the dog, we headed back to the cafe. Along the way we had met this young man who was interested in our painting on the beach and asked to join us for a beer. I know, I know, we should have said no but he seemed harmless.

At the cafe, we set next to this couple from Australia and compared notes of current events in our countries. Lots of similarities I might add. As Connie and I were painting and talking, the young man who had joined us was eerily quiet. Red flags were flying for me. After the couple left, the young man's intentions became apparent making passes both at myself and Connie. As I repeatedly said NO, and was painting as fast as possible to leave, the host of the restaurant was keeping an eye on us. She helped us send the young man off in a different direction than we were going. My painting suffered from the event but as I promised to show both good and bad paintings, my painting is below. It is a night painting of the windmills on Mykinos.

All ended well and I was the wiser.




More on Patmos tomorrow!

No comments: